EARLY MEDIEVALS is a selection of classical and patristic works from the early medieval period. It was designed to complement Christendom: Early Medievals, a unit in the Old Western Culture curriculum. Based on the Great Books of western civilization, Old Western Culture guides students through the literature, history, theology, and philosophy of the West from a Christian perspective.
Table of Contents
Depending on the assigned reading from the course Christendom: Early Medievals, this reader includes either selections or entire works.
- The Rule of Saint Benedict by St. Benedict
- Wars of Justinian by Procopius
- History of the Franks by Gregory of Tours
- Book of Pastoral Rule by Gregory the Great
- The Dialogues by Gregory the Great
- The Confession of St. Patrick by St. Patrick
- Letter to the Soldiers of Coroticus by St. Patrick
- The Life of St. Columba by Adomnan of Iona
- The Voyage of Brendan by Anonymous
- Beowulf by Anonymous
- Ecclessiastical History of the English People by Bede
- Life of Charlemagne by Einhard
- Life of Alfred by Esser
- The Fount of Knowledge by John of Damascus
Did you find this review helpful?