This is, first and foremost, a complete writing handbook covering everything from writing paragraphs to writing research papers, from taking notes to taking essay tests, from writing with style to writing in the real world. No matter what type of information or help you need—guidelines, samples, rules, or friendly advice—you'll find it in this handbook.
Writers, Inc. is also a multipurpose reference book with full-color maps, useful tables and charts, computer and Internet terms, and a historical time line. Any student interested in writing and learning should have a copy of Writers, Inc..
Here's a preview of what's inside:
- The Writing Process - Provides important strategies for all steps in the development of writing.
- The Basic Elements of Writing - Offers advice and insights for writing effective sentences, paragraphs, and essays.
- Forms of Writing - Addresses nearly every form of writing—from a personal narrative to an interview report, from a personal commentary to a cause-and-effect essay, from a found poem to a play script.
- Writing About Literature - Gives special attention to personal responses, book reviews, and literary analyses.
- Research Writing - Outlines the steps in the research process and provides sample parenthetical references and bibliographical entries in the latest MLA and APA styles.
- Workplace Writing - Covers memos, letters, e-mail messages, proposals, résumés, and much more.
- Reading and Study Skills - Covers everything from improving reading and note-taking skills to test-taking and group skills.
- Speaking, Thinking, and Viewing Skills - Discusses planning and giving a speech, thinking clearly and logically, and viewing fairly and objectively.
- Proofreader's Guide - Answers any questions a writer might have about punctuation, grammar, usage, and mechanics.
- Almanac includes 10 full-color maps and helpful tables and charts for use in science, math, and history.
Did you find this review helpful?