The complete, definitive illustrated version of this classic.
This version has:
- A cover based on the 1911 edition.
- The complete, unabridged text.
- 65 original illustrations by E. Boyd Smith
- Twenty-Four Years After chapter by the Author
- Seventy-Six Years After chapter by the Author's Son
- Appendix with diagrams of sailing ships detailing all their sails, lines, and spars
In 1834, a young man, recently of Harvard, signed on as a common seaman aboard the brig Pilgrim for the perilous voyage around Cape Horn to California. During the next two years he recorded the singular joys and incredible hardships of a sailor's life in a daily journal that endures as one of the most vivid recreations of life at sea ever published. Conceived as a protest against brutal injustice, written to improve the sailor's working conditions, Two Years Before the Mast is a powerful portrayal of the testing of man's courage and endurance.
Did you find this review helpful?