This product is not available to bookstores at this time. It may be ordered directly from Classical Conversations.
Designed personally by Leigh Bortins for families in the Challenge programs or anyone new to formal debate, this small book teaches beginning debaters the structure of both team policy and Lincoln-Douglas debates, while the companion videos bring the forms to life.
The book relies on practicing rote presentation, asking good questions, and breaking debate into small components that are easy to practice. The videos introduce debate through familiar conflicts and characters, with pop-ups and judges’ commentary helping viewers interpret the action.
Only some people will love debate, but all can benefit from the practice of formal debate, which teaches valuable skills such as:
• Researching for compelling evidence
• Separating form from content
• Taking good notes
• Listening actively
• Holding judgment until an opponent has concluded
• Understanding both sides of an issue
• Constructing logical arguments
• Analyzing logical arguments
• Asking good questions
• Thinking on your feet
• Managing time well
• Speaking from notes AND from scripts
• Practicing formal etiquette
• Disagreeing graciously
• Respecting the ideas of others Perfect for Challenge I and II directors, students, and parents who are ready to tackle this challenging and rewarding skill.
Did you find this review helpful?