A nice edition with the cover and all 10 illustrations from the first edition and a Foreword by Anna Clark.
SeaWolf Press is proud to offer another book in its Frances Hodgson Burnett 100th Anniversary Collection. Each book in the collection contains the text, illustrations, and cover from the first edition (but it is not a photocopy.)
The Secret Garden was first published in book form in 1911 following the publication in 1910 of a serial version in a U.S. magazine. Set in England, it is one of Burnett's most popular novels and is considered a classic of English children's literature. The book's main character, Mary Lennox, is living in India with her uncaring parents when they are both killed in a cholera epidemic. She is sent to live with an uncle at his house in England. There she meets and helps her uncle's sickly son, Colin, recover his health. Several stage and film adaptations have been made. This edition includes the original illustrations by Charles Robinson that appeared in the British first edition. The Secret Garden is often considered one of the best children's books of the twentieth century.
This version has:
- All 10 original illustrations. Don't be fooled by other versions with missing or made-up pictures.
- A special Foreword by Anna Clark titled "The Secret Garden's Hidden Depths"
- Text that has been proofread to avoid errors common in other versions.
- A beautiful cover that replicates the American first edition cover.
- The complete text in an easy-to-read font similar to the original.
- Properly formatted text complete with correct indenting, spacing, footnotes, italics, and tables.
Did you find this review helpful?