This new edition offers three major improvements:
- For durability, the book is now a hardback—matching the popular layout of The Mystery of History Volumes I, III, and IV.
- For interest, the publisher has added more than 400 beautiful color images and dozens of colorful maps—handpicked by the author to be edifying and historically accurate. (Hundreds of fact-filled captions are included!)
- For convenience, the book contains a download code to access a 500+ page digital Companion Guide containing pretests; activities for younger, middle, and older students; timeline directions; mapping exercises; quizzes; literature suggestions; and much more—allowing you to customize this course to suit your needs. (A printed version of the Companion Guide will soon be released as a separate purchase for those who would prefer it.)
- Will the Companion Guide be released with the Reader? No. The digital download will be released after the Reader. We apologize for the inconvenience but we didn't want to hold back on the Reader while we finished up the final details of the guide. We will release what we have when we have it so you can get started!
- Will the Second Edition still work for “all ages?” Yes! Students as young as 1st grade can enjoy the stories of medieval times even more—with the addition of 400+ color images and maps in the text and updated hands-on activities (with photos). Middle students can glean even more from the Companion Guide—with enhanced activities, new photos, and improved mapping exercises. Older students can continue to adapt the program to meet a high school credit through stimulating activities and literature suggestions on a high school level.
- Will the First Edition Audiobook match the Second Edition text? No. With the opportunity to rewrite the text, the author made vast changes in the Second Edition by providing additional detail, richer vocabulary, and more pronunciations. However, the author did NOT rewrite entire lessons or change the chronological order of them. So, while listening to the First Edition may be convenient in a pinch or on a road trip, a student would not want to be reading from the Second Edition at the same time. The author will record a word for word revision of the audiobook in the future, but that is a 1-2 year project!
- If I sell the hardback down the road, will the download code be reusable? No. The download code falls under a one-time family license through the publisher, Bright Ideas Press. However, in the near future, you can purchase a digital Companion Guide (downloadable PDF) —allowing a secondary book owner to have access to the popular curriculum components.
- I'm looking for an e-book of The Mystery of History, Volume II. Do you have one? MOH offers a Volume II e-book, but only for the First Edition. A Second Edition e-book will be released at an undetermined future date.
- I would prefer a paper version of the Companion Guide. Will there be one? Yes! It will be made available as a separate purchase as soon as possible.
- My co-op is using the First Edition black and white paperback. Can I still buy one from you? We still have some stock of the 1st edition, but will not be reordering them. However, we will continue to offer it used as we get them for the foreseeable future. (We do highly recommend that groups use the same edition! There are enough differences between the First and Second Edition, that using them together would be a challenge for readings, quizzes, and assignments from the Companion Guide. Please contact the publisher about school and co-op licensing!)
Did you find this review helpful?