Math Mammoth Grade 1 Complete Curriculum is a complete math program for 1st grade. It consists of two student worktexts (A and B), a separate answer key for each, tests, cumulative reviews, and in the download version, an additional worksheet maker (Internet access required) to make extra practice worksheets when needed.
129 lesson pages,
(of which 8 are an
optional Kindergarten review)
125 lesson pages
1-A contents and samples
1-B contents and samples
User Guide, grade 1
Grade 1 & Common Core
The four main areas of study for first grade are:
- The concepts of addition and subtraction, and strategies for addition and subtraction facts (chapters 1-2; chapter 4);
- Developing understanding of whole number relationships andplace value till 100 (chapter 3 and chapter 7);
- Developing understanding of measuring lengths as iterating length units (chapter 6); and
- Reasoning about attributes of geometric shapes, such as the number of sides and the number of corners, and composing and decomposing geometric shapes (chapter 6).
Additional topics we study in first grade are clock to the half hour (chapter 5) and counting coins (chapter 8).
Please also see the table of contents for 1-A and 1-B (in the sample files), which will let you see the topics covered in more detail.
Some main features of Math Mammoth complete curriculum (Light Blue series) are:
- focuses on understanding of mathematical concepts
- uses clear explanations, lots of visual exercises and pattern exercises
- mastery oriented: concentrates fairly long on a topic, with fairly few topics per grade
- emphasizes mental math and developing number sense
- very little teacher preparation needed
Here is a list of manipulatives that are needed or recommended for grade 1:
- A 100-bead abacus (for 1-A and 1-B; especially the chapter on place value and chapter 7)
Please read more about the 100-bead abacus on the FAQ page.
- An old-fashioned alarm clock or other analog clock where you can turn the minute hand and the hour hand will turn as it is supposed to (for 1-B).
- A ruler that measures in inches (for 1-B).
- A ruler that measures in centimeters (for 1-B).
Did you find this review helpful?