Memoria Press' First Form Latin curriculum was written by Cheryl Lowe, author of the best selling Latina Christiana. Mrs. Lowe's simple but effective texts have been used by more than 100,000 students across the world to learn Latin.
Based on twenty years of teaching experience, this revolutionary "grammar-first" series will be your guide as you and your students successfully climb the mountain of Latin Grammar all the way to the top! The uniqueness of the First Form Series lies in two features:
- It is committed to the trivium model of teaching grammar systematically in order to facilitate retention and understanding, rather than topically, to facilitate translation.
- Extensive workbook exercises ensure skills mastery and rapid recognition of inflected forms.
- Designed for students and teachers with no Latin background
- 8x8 inch student text, small, concise, unintimidating with 34 two-page lessons on facing uncluttered pages
- Limited vocabulary of 185 words
- Full-size student workbook with 4-6 pages of exercises per lesson
- Vocabulary derivatives and detailed explanations of Latin sayings.
- Grammar catechism for daily rapid-fire review
- Milestone markers for each grammar objective
- Everything-you-could-possibly-need teacher manual
- Organized for easy access
- Student Text inset with answers in color
- Chalk-talk scripted lessons
- Recitation schedule
- Pronunciation reminders
- Workbook with key
- Unit tests and lesson quizzes booklet
- FYI section for extra background
First Form's grammar-first approach focuses on grammar forms and vocabulary because those are the grammar stage skills suitable for the grammar stage student. However, the First Form Series is for students of all ages because all beginners, regardless of age, are in the grammar stage of learning. Syntax (how to use the grammar) and translation are logic and rhetoric stage skills, respectively, and quickly overwhelm the student unless they are introduced at a slow, gentle pace and taught for mastery. First Form is the ideal text for all beginners, grades 5 & up, or is a great follow-up to Latina Christiana I at any age. Now every school and homeschool can have a truly successful Latin program that creates Latin scholars rather than Latin drop-outs.
After mastering First Form, the student will have a solid grasp on the six indicative active tenses of the first two verb conjugations, five noun declensions, first and second declension adjectives, and 185 vocabulary words.
Did you find this review helpful?