Moving: Chapter One

Stuff Begins to Shift

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It was sometime in early March that the idea of moving to Mom and Dad's basement was first broached. My brother and his fiancée were moving their things into a studio apartment above a friend's house and my parents realized that they had plenty of room downstairs. Dad and Zack had been working together in an office set up down there, but with Zack leaving, Dad wasn't excited about being alone. At the same time Eli and I were talking about buckling down and trying to save buckets of money towards a down payment on a house. One night someone threw the idea out of us living there and the talk went from, "Ha ha, very funny," to, "No seriously, what do you think?" very quickly.

I almost went home and started packing that night, but we knew we didn't want to leave Eli's dad with this house vacant. The house was listed and we waited, hoping to move before summer's busy season at Exodus. I refrained from packing anything, though I did list a few superfluous items on Craig's List.

When Eli's dad decided to lower the asking amount for rent, there was suddenly a lot more interest. In a weekend I went from waiting mode to moving-in-a-couple-of-weeks mode! Now three of our couches are gone, boxes (waiting to be packed with our books) are stacked to the ceiling the their place, and someone's going to look at our table tomorrow. At my parents' house, the basement is looking more bare while the hallways and the garage are becoming decidedly less bare. Tomorrow I will pack up our library and this weekend I'll be painting our new walls!

In other news, I got to meet the Pioneer Woman and get her signature in my copy of her cookbook. We had no idea what to expect and did not show up early. The crowd that we found when we arrived was rather surprising. They had given out 380 tickets and left the other 50-100 of us to get in line at the end. Once my mom, sister, sister-in-law, and friend had waited for a couple hours we felt committed and decided to stick it out to the end.  It was nearly 11:00 before we got our book signed. Ree Drummond looked a little glazed over by then, but she still smiled sweetly and took the time to figure out how we were all connected. I bet she was happy to get home the next day!

Back to Recent Journey Chronicles