The Bible describes a frightening, huge creature that lived in the sea. Called Leviathan, it had fearsome teeth and armor-plated scales that spears and arrows could not penetrate . . . A Norse legend tells of a colossal sea creature with many arms that could capsize a sailing ship . . . In 1918, a group of lobster fishermen in Port Stephens, Australia, reported an encounter with "an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions" that devastated their catch and left them in a state of shock.
As researchers discover teeth and bones from the past, these stories and many like them are no longer easily dismissed as tall tales. The fossil evidence shows that the oceans once teemed with sea monsters, and some are still alive today. Even some of those thought extinct may still be lurking in the ocean depths today!
With incredible detail, this book describes:
- Mosasaurus, the Tyrannosaurus rex of the sea
- Megalodon, the shark longer than a school bus
- Sarcosuchus, the "super croc" that weighted up to 8 tons
- Archelon, the sea turtle as large as a Volkswagen Beetle
- Dunkleosteus, the fish that ate sharks for lunch!
- . . . And many other sea-dwelling monsters, past and present
Each creature is featured with full-color illustrations, size comparisons, skeleton drawings, a fast facts section, and fascinating information about how these creatures lived and died.
This one-of-a-kind book will thrill readers with exciting accounts of those fearsome and marvelous creatures that once ruled the oceans!
Did you find this review helpful?