The All About Reading program is unique because it begins with Level Pre-1 for preschoolers and kindergartners, and it focuses on what the authors call the Big Five Skills. These five fundamental pre-reading skills include letter knowledge, phonological awareness, print awareness, listening comprehension, and motivation to read. It is this specific set of skills that helps pre-readers understand the basics of language and how it works, preparing them to learn to read.
With All About Reading Level Pre-1, your child will play special games, enjoy little crafts, and engage in charming storytime activities, all the while absorbing these all-important Big Five Skills.
The All About Reading Level Pre-1 Deluxe Package includes:
- Teacher's Manual (208 pages)
- Student Packet
- My Book of Letters and Sounds Activity Book (192 pages)
- Picture Cards
- Letter Sound Cards
- Capital Letter Alphabet Chart
- Lowercase Letter Alphabet Chart
- The Zigzag Zebra: a rhyming alphabet hardcover book
- Lizard Lou: a collection of rhymes old and new hardcover book
- Divider Cards (to keep your Picture Cards and Letter Sound Cards organized)
- "Letter Sounds A to Z" CD-ROM
What will my student learn in Pre-reading?
The All About Reading Pre-reading program is designed for preschoolers and kindergarteners. Your student will enjoy the special games, crafts, and storytime read-alouds, and you will love the way your student effortlessly learns essential pre-reading skills.
Your student will learn five very important pre-reading skills: Print Awareness, Phonological Awareness, Letter Knowledge, Listening Comprehension, and Motivation to Read. These skills lay the foundation for learning to read. Below is a sampling in each area.
- Learn to recognize capital letters
- Learn to recognize lowercase letters
- Learn to recite the alphabet song
- Learn to blend sounds orally to make a word
- Learn to clap syllables
- Learn rhyming and word boundaries
- Identify the beginning and ending sounds in a word
- Understand that the words on the page can be read
- Understand that books are read from cover to back, and sentences are read from left to right
- Answer simple questions about a story
- Learn to retell a story in his own words
- Ask pertinent questions about a story
Motivation to Read
- Cultivate an enthusiasm for learning
- Instill a delight for books and reading
- Observe situations in which reading is beneficial
- Establish a desire to learn to read and write
Did you find this review helpful?