What should your child learn in the fourth grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American fourth graders. Featuring 16 pages of full-color illustrations, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know, Revised Edition, is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children. Hundreds of thousands of children have benefited from The Core Knowledge Series. This revised edition gives a new generation of fourth graders the advantage they need to make progress in school today, and to establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime.
- Favorite Poems—old and new, from the familiar classic "Paul Revere's Ride" to award-winner Langston Hughes's "Dreams"
- Literature—from around the world, including African and Chinese folktales, excerpts from beloved novels, and condensed versions of popular classics such as Gulliver's Travels and Rip Van Winkle
- Learning About Language—the basics of written English, including grammar, punctuation, parts of speech, synonyms and antonyms, plus an introduction to common English sayings and phrases
- World and American History and Geography—explore world history from the Middle Ages to the rise of Islam, and broaden knowledge of American colonial history, from the drafting of the Constitution to slavery and the early American reformers
- Visual Arts—a broad spectrum of art from around the world, including African masks, Islamic architecture, Chinese calligraphy, and great American painters—featuring full-color reproductions
- Music—understanding and appreciating music, from the basics of musical notation to the orchestra, plus great composers and sing-along lyrics from such favorites as "Auld Lang Syne" and "Waltzing Matilda"
- Math—challenging lessons ranging from fractions and decimals to understanding graphs, making change, square roots, and the metric system
- Science—discover the wonders of the human body and its systems, learn about electricity, atoms, chemistry, geology, and meteorology—plus concise biographies of some of the great scientists of our time
Did you find this review helpful?