Designed for use by parents and teachers, this groundbreaking first volume in The Core Knowledge Series provides kindergartners with the fundamentals they need to prepare them for a lifetime of learning. It sets out the elements a parent or educator should look for in a good kindergarten program and introduces activities that can help a child take the first steps in learning to read and write. Filled with age-appropriate questions that stimulate thinking, this book also includes:
- Familiar and favorite poems—read and recite together from Mother Goose, A. A. Milne, Langston Hughes, and more, all beautifully illustrated
- Fairy tales, fables, and other beloved stories—read aloud from "The Three Little Pigs," "The Ugly Duckling," "Cinderella," "Winnie-the-Pooh," "The Velveteen Rabbit," and many more, including multicultural folktales from African, Japanese, and Native American traditions
- Familiar sayings and phrases that impart traditional wisdom such as "Where there's a will, there's a way," and "Better safe than sorry"
- History and geography—a friendly introduction to our world, complete with simple questions and fun activities
- Visual arts—painting, drawing, cutting and pasting go hand in hand with learning about color and helping a child look at and talk about art
- Music—many musical experiences for parents and children to participate in, along with dozens of songs to sing and dance to
- Mathematics—lively and interesting exposure to concepts and operations that provide a springboard to later mastery
- Science—activities that let children observe, experience, and get their hands dirty while exploring the wonders of nature
Did you find this review helpful?