The Far Above Rubies unit study is designed to train girls to become the godly women our Lord wants them to be. It is based on Proverbs 31:10-31, and is meant to cover all subjects for a complete high school education, including many suggestions for expanding into specialized areas of interest. The main emphasis of this unit is on preparing daughters for the life calling of wife and mother. Though the material tries to provide a well-rounded curriculum useful for college preparatory purposes as well as offering a number of business and vocational skills, its goal is to help Christian young ladies develop their skills and abilities for useful service within the family setting. The authors hope that maturing Christian girls will understand the importance of homemaking as a full-time profession, even for a woman who may have another occupation. This curriculum stresses the importance of a woman making her family her #1 earthly priority in terms of time and emotional commitment.
The main book is comprised of 20 units, each based on one or more verses from the passage under study.. Each unit consists of activities related directly or indirectly to target verse(s) and includes all the following areas:
- Bible and Christian Character
- Cultural Studies—history, geography, civics, general economics, law, etc.
- Reading and Literature
- Composition—includes handwriting, spelling, grammar, vocabulary development, research, and related skills
- Math and Personal Finance—basics, for those who need them, as well as algebra, geometry, consumer math, bookkeeping, and accounting
- Science—include all areas of biological, physical, and earth science
- Health and Physical Fitness—exercise, nutrition, first aid and nursing skills, and general health
- Practical Arts—crafts of all kinds, homemaking, languages, woodworking, business, and vocational skills
- Creative andPerforming Arts—music, art, drama, both in the performance and appreciation areas, and artistic expression.
The course isdesigned to be a four year high school study, but can adapted for shorter or longer use. The author outlines a plan for going through the units in as little as two years, or as long as five. It includes a teacher's guide, theFar Above Rubies Companion, toguide the parent as they instruct their daughters.The four Lesson Plan volumes give guidance to the teacher to personalize the material for your student, dividing each unit into easier-to-use sub-units.
The Twenty Units are:
- Proverbs 31:10 - Virtuous Woman, Life in Bible Times, Rubies, Rocks & Minerals
- Proverbs 31:11 - Marriage & Courtship, Government, Human Body: Reproduction System, Personal Economics
- Proverbs 31:13 - Shepherd & Sheep, Diligent Work, Fabric & Sewing, Textile Industry
- Proverbs 31:14 - Vikings, Bible Travelers, Ships, Birds, Oceans
- Proverbs 31:15 - Ancient Egypt, Civil War, Human Body: The Digestive System, Slavery
- Proverbs 31:16 - Botany, Gardening, Agriculture, Real Estate
- Proverbs 31:17 - Ancient Greece, Sports, Exercise, Human Body: Skeletal & Muscular System
- Proverbs 31:18 - Astronomy, Light & Energy, Banking, Human Body: Eyes
- Proverbs 31:19 - Industrial Revolution, Machines, Interior Design, Human Body: General
- Proverbs 31:20 - Great Depression, Economics, Charity, Environment
- Proverbs 31:21 - Weather, Atmosphere, Human Body: Respiratory System
- Proverbs 31:22 - Renaissance/Reformation, Architecture, Fashion, Interior Design, Human Body: The Skin
- Proverbs 31:23 - Early America, Marriage, Federal Government, Politics, Exterior Design: Building Repair, Health: Stress
- Proverbs 31:24 - Ancient Rome, Business, Home Industries, Animals
- Proverbs 31:25 - Diligence, Middle Ages, Future, Medicine
- Proverbs 31:26 - Wisdom, Home Education, Human Body: The Brain, Child Training
- Proverbs 31:27 - Westward Movement, Homemaking, Local Government
- Proverbs 31:28a - Child Birth, Parenting
- Proverbs 31:28b, 30 - Godly Wives, Beauty, Human Body
- Proverbs 31:31 - Spiritual Fruit, Concluding Activities, Graduation
Did you find this review helpful?